Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2015 18:04:19 -0500 (EST)
From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...re.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
cc: alan.coopersmith@...cle.com, gremlin@...mlin.ru, cve@...re.org
Subject: Assignment of CVE IDs with 5 or more digits by January 13, 2015

Based on recent discussion on oss-security and general interest, I thought
it was important to clarify what is currently planned for issuing 5-digit
CVE IDs by the dealine of January 13, 2015.

Currently, CVE-2014-9509 is our last allocated ID from 2014.  During 2015,
we will continue to issue CVE-2014-xxxx IDs for other issues that were
disclosed in 2014, but it is highly unlikely that we will cross the
5-digit threshold by January 13.

We will still issue at least one valid 5-digit CVE-2014-xxxxx ID, and
probably more, on January 13.  This is a one-time exception to our usual
sequential allocation process.  We are doing this as a final "test" to
ensure that CVE-using implementations can handle the syntax change.

We might also issue CVE IDs with more than 5 digits, since it is highly
likely that some implementations will make a 5-digit assumption, even
though an arbitrary number of digits is allowed by the syntax change,
which went into effect more than a year ago.

Steve Christey Coley
CVE Editor