Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 07:30:16 -0700
From: Richard Johnson <rdump@...er.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: can we talk about secure time?

On 2014-12-21 22:51, Hanno Böck wrote:
> I perfectly understand that some people need more accuracy than tlsdate
> can give. However it's probably rare, right? I don't see any reason why
> average consumer hardware (Desktop, smartphone etc.) would have any
> problem with the 1-2 sec max inaccuracy of tlsdate.

It's typical to require at least 1/2 second accuracy for log correlation.
This is not just for some people, but (for an example) at academic
institutions where the staff is running average consumer hardware.

tlsdate is certainly an OK boundary sanity check on more accurate time, or for
initial stepping on a new boot or new clock start.

Richard