Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 13:20:05 -0500
From: Daniel Micay <danielmicay@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Offset2lib: bypassing full ASLR on 64bit Linux

On 10/12/14 09:25 AM, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 09, 2014 10:09:02 PM Steve Grubb wrote:
>>>
>>> Your measurement of the difference is quite accurate.
>>
>> There's other allocators, too.
>>
>> libtalloc:
>> $ ./all-bits
>> heap       14 bits
>> pie-heap   29 bits
>>
>> Hoard:
>> $ ./all-bits
>> heap       25 bits
>> pie-heap   25 bits
>
> tcmalloc:
> $ ./all-bits
> heap       11 bits
> pie-heap   26 bits
>
> and just so they are all in one place:
>
> jemalloc:
> $ ./all-bits
> heap       19 bits
> pie-heap   19 bits
>
> glibc:
> $ ./all-bits
> heap       14 bits
> pie-heap   29 bits
>
> Are there any other allocators in common use?
>
> This is quite a range in heap ASLR just based on which library you link
> against. Might be nice if some of the low performers gain some more bits of
> randomness.

By the way, you can verify my hypothesis about jemalloc's chunk size by
setting it in the test program. This will be the same as the default:

    #include <stdlib.h>

    // 4MiB (1 << 22)
    //
    // ASLR entropy loss is lg_chunk - page_shift, so 10 bits by default
    const char *malloc_conf = "lg_chunk:22";

    int main() {
        void *p = malloc(16);
        free(p);
    }

I think you should get back 1 bit of entropy for each decrement. The
lowest you can go is 16k, which reduces entropy by 2 bits (so 27 bits
with the vanilla kernel ASLR).

I don't see a way to get it back beyond jemalloc doing low entropy ASLR
internally, and it's not at all obvious how to fit that into the design
in a cheap way.

I expect that the same thing can be caused by making aligned
allocations. If you make a 4M naturally aligned allocation via an API
like posix_memalign, the allocator will probably mmap 4M + the maximum
excess. If it unmaps the excess memory at the head/tail, then it will
have wiped out 10 bits of entropy for future mmap allocations because
the tail will always be at a 4M boundary.

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (820 bytes)