Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 01:43:51 -0500
From: Dan McDonald <danmcd@...iti.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Dan McDonald <danmcd@...iti.com>
Subject: CVE Request for illumos distributions

I believe this will be the first time the illumos project (http://www.illumos.org/) has requested a CVE number.  I apologize for any newbie mistakes.  PLEASE NOTE:  We are the open-source inheritor of what was once OpenSolaris's OS/Net consolidation (i.e. the kernel, system libraries, and system commands).  WE ARE NOT RELATED TO ORACLE or ORACLE SOLARIS.

Illumos bug #5421 - http://illumos.org/issues/5421  which is now fixed in the upstream illumos-gate, is an innocuous fix to a serious problem that allows an arbitrary user in the global zone (non-global zones are not able to panic the machine) to panic the machine.

Illumos has various distributions from various parties.  These include, but are not limited to:

	OmniOS from OmniTI
	SmartOS from Joyent
	NexentaStor from Nexenta
	The OpenIndiana project
	Coraid

Because SmartOS presents non-global zones to its non-administrative users, it is not a high-priority for them.  For OmniOS and OpenIndiana, it is more critical.

OmniOS has updated its packaging servers for all supported releases:  r151006/LTS, r151010/old-Stable, r151012/current-stable, and bloody.  Merely issuing "pkg update" and rebooting will fix the problem.  Users still on r151008 should upgrade to r151012 ASAP.

SmartOS has standard upgrade procedures.

Other distros' contacts are Bcc:ed here.  They will contact me if they have updates.

Thank you!
Daniel L. McDonald -- Illumos RTI Advocate, and unofficial Security Coordinator