Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 16:18:16 -0800
From: Andy Lutomirski <luto@...capital.net>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: CVE Request: Linux kernel LDT handling bugs

Unsurprisingly, x86_64 Linux has some bugs in the way it handles
failures to return from the kernel into userspace when the userspace
state has segmentation problems.

tl;dr: Recent kernels can be paniced by modify_ldt and have a couple
of other bugs that look like they'll be very difficult to usefully
exploit.

Two bugs only exist on kernels that support espfix64 (IIRC 3.16 and
newer, but I think that espfix64 was backported to a bunch of stable
kernels):

1. espfix64 is designed to double-fault and recover on failures.  This
worked great for #GP and #NP, but it didn't work for #SS.  The result
is an unrecovered double-fault and panic.  You can test by building
this:

https://gitorious.org/linux-test-utils/linux-clock-tests/source/92ab0e82faa75814f28f2a184a8fa6f3b6f5158a:

and running sigreturn_32.  (Don't use sigreturn_64 -- there are
non-security-related kernel bugs that prevent the 64-bit build of the
test from working.)

There should be four possible outcomes from sigreturn_32.  It can pass
all tests (on a fully patched kernel), it can refuse to run at all
(kernels with 16-bit support disabled), it can fail lots of tests
(non-espfix64 kernels), or it can panic (buggy espfix64 kernels).  If
you see behavior that isn't those categories, please let me know.

This is an easy DoS (just run the test case).  I think that it's
unlikely that this can be used for anything other than DoS.

The fix is:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=6f442be2fb22be02cafa606f1769fa1e6f894441

2. When trying and failing to return directly to userspace from IST
context (NMI, MCE, int3, breakpoints, or #SS) when the userspace SS
references the LDT, the kernel would end up accidentally switching to
an uninitialized stack.  Importantly, this does *not* happen during
scheduling or signal delivery, which substantially reduces the ease of
exploiting it.

Triggering this at all isn't so easy, and getting the uninitialized
part of the stack to contain anything other than a stale but
nontheless valid user context is even harder.  Nonetheless, I *think*
that this could be exploited as a kASLR bypass or even privilege
escalation by a sufficiently determined (and sufficiently patient, and
sufficiently willing to endure accidental crashes) attacker.

Fixed by:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=af726f21ed8af2cdaa4e93098dc211521218ae65

I'm not sure that this one is even worthy of a CVE.  I can trigger it
harmlessly in a debugger, but that's as far as I got.  But maybe
someone here will take this as a challenge.

There's also a fix to a really old bug in this series:

3. When the kernel tried and failed to return directly to userspace
from IST context and espfix64 was *not* involved, it would handle the
failure by faking a general protection fault.  Unfortunately, that
fake general protection fault executed on the IST stack as well, but
the GPF handler is not designed to run on an IST stack.  This exposed
the handler to being overwritten if it inadvertently recursed onto the
same stack, and it could also lead to scheduling or signal delivery on
the IST stack.

Successful exploitation will result in confused signal delivery or
kernel stack corruption.

All kernels are affected, I think.

Like #2, triggering this bug is tricky, because it cannot be triggered
by ptrace or during signal delivery.  It's also harmless unless an
attacker can persuade the kernel to corrupt its stack, and that is
unlikely to happen by itself.

This one is unusual, though, in that it requires no system calls at
all to trigger, which may make it interesting as a seccomp bypass.
Again, consider this a challenge -- I do not even have a proof of
concept.

Fixed in:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=b645af2d5905c4e32399005b867987919cbfc3ae

This whole series of fixes was merged in this branch:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=00c89b2f1111b61e924f49fc79b7d9851fce249d

Finally, there are more bugs, I think, although the remaining ones are
probably even more difficult to trigger.

--Andy