Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 10:26:33 -0800
From: Tracy Reed <treed@...raviolet.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Location of OS security audit reports

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 07:17:12PM PST, M.T. Roebuck spake thusly:
> I haven't had any success yet in finding security audit reports for
> any *nix OS (I haven't looked for them for MS/Apple products).

Security audits depend greatly on the configuration and use of the machine.
Having a generic security audit is practically useless.

A company would usually pay to have a security audit produced (either via
internal or external auditors) and contains very specific details about their
particular installation. These audits are regarded as sensitive and proprietary
information and not publically distributed.

Nobody has an incentive to produce generic security audits of out of the box OS
distributions and then make them publically available.

Tracy Reed