Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 02:44:27 -0500
From: Robert Watson <robertcwatson1@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Fuzzing findings (and maybe CVE requests) -
 Image/GraphicsMagick, elfutils, GIMP, gdk-pixbuf, file, ndisasm, less

30+ years of programming Unix/Linux systems has taught me that old tools
(like old cars) usually work very well for the intended purpose,​ but are
far from as safe to use as we expect nowadays.

All of these tools were written years ago for use in an environment where
there was no such thing as "anonymous access." Yes, bad practices like
shared logins were common. But there was still always someone to hold
responsible.

Most of the authors of these tools are long since retired and/or deceased.
Thus, someone new must be found with sufficient interest to learn the
software and correct these fuzzing-uncovered problems.

It would be far more beneficial to "adopt" one of these "orphaned" tools
that you'd like use. Then fork a new version, or an entirely new tool for
the intended function, that incorporates the safety standards we expect.

If every car on the road had to be kept upgraded to current safety
standards, only the well-off would own cars.

*Trust in truth keeps hope alive*

*     iCare for AffordableCare
<http://www.nationalpartnership.org/issues/health/HIT/>*

*robertcwatson1@...il.com <robertcwatson1@...il.com>*