Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 02:30:10 +0000
From: mancha <mancha1@...o.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Assign a CVE Identifier <cve-assign@...re.org>
Subject: Re: Re: strings / libbfd crasher

On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 05:07:52PM -0800, Michal Zalewski wrote:
> Well, I think that for most part, they are just trying to do their
> best based on the limited information and limited time they can spend
> on every report.

You're preaching to the choir; I highly value the good work they do. And
I am sensitive to the fact that assignments are sometimes made with
imperfect/incomplete information with time and other resource
constraints limiting the amount of analysis that can go into any given
report.

> If you care about CVEs being assigned only for meaningful security
> issues, it's good to research practical exploitability first, or help
> them evaluate other public reports if they seem unclear. If you don't
> care about it... well, that's a perfectly valid stance :-)

I used Alexander's post as a springboard for a follow-up question. The
case of libbfd, because of the variation in the issues, can be
illuminating as to CVE allocation - broadly speaking.

But, my take differs from Alexander's. He seemed to be questioning the
justification of some of the libbfd CVE assignments. My preference, on
the other hand, is a more liberal approach to allocation when dealing
with libraries. My earlier email explains why.

Your reply made me worry my email came across as some kind of rebuke.
So let me go on record by saying that though not taxonomic by design,
the CVE project is an extremely valuable vulnerability tracking tool and
MITRE should be commended for their leadership in this area.