Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 07:42:06 +0000
From: mancha <mancha1@...o.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Zip-Bugs@...ts.wku.edu, Christian.Spieler@...nline.de
Subject: Re: unzip -t crasher

On Sun, Nov 02, 2014 at 07:06:40PM +0100, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> Latest American fuzzy lop[0] tarball[1] contains a zip file that
> crashes unzip -t:
>
> $ unzip -qt afl-0.43b/docs/samples/unzip_t_malloc.zip foo/:
> mismatching "local" filename (™/UT), continuing with "central"
> filename version *** Error in `unzip': free(): corrupted unsorted
> chunks: 0x00000000015d0170 ***
>
> I'm not sure if inclusion of said zip file was intentional, but since
> the cat is already out of the bag, I thought I'll let you know.

Cats shouldn't be in bags, anyways.

The crasher has an OS/2 extra field that claims to have a compressed
block size of 52735 bytes and an uncompressed block size of 127 bytes.

The attached patch against UnZip 6.0 ensures, within extra fields,
size(compressed) <= size(uncompressed) and should fix this issue.

--mancha

PS If the attachment gets mangled, it's also at:
http://sf.net/projects/mancha/files/sec/unzip-6.0_overflow.diff

View attachment "unzip-6.0_overflow.diff" of type "text/plain" (1048 bytes)