Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 12:46:38 +0200
From: Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards@...adiscon.com>
To: Simon McVittie <smcv@...ian.org>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: vulnerability in rsyslog

> On 06/10/14 08:34, Rainer Gerhards wrote:
> > Sorry, it looks like I don't understand your question.
>
> I think the clarification Sven is asking for is a statement like this
> (I'm deliberately using imaginary version numbers which do not resemble
> rsyslog's actual 7.x versions, to make it clear that I'm not making a
> statement about this particular rsyslog vuln):
>
> """
> Releases 1.2.x < 1.2.4, 1.3.x < 1.3.7 and 1.4.x < 1.4.1 are vulnerable
> unless the vendor-supplied patch is applied. Releases < 1.2, >= 1.2.4,
> >= 1.3.7 and >= 1.4.1 are not vulnerable.
> """
>
> In most projects' version numbering practices:
>
> * a version (release) is a fixed point that can never change (so if
>   1.2.3 is vulnerable to CVE-1066-1234 it will always be vulnerable
>   to CVE-1066-1234)

same with rsyslog

> * a stable release series or stable branch can have later versions that
>   are intended to supersede an earlier version completely, while having
>   minimal changes to fix serious bugs (so the upstream project can
>   address CVE-1066-1234 by releasing 1.2.3.1 or 1.2.4)

same with rsyslog

> * alternatively, the upstream project can release recommended patches
>   to be applied by sysadmins or vendors, which might be labelled
>   "1.2.3 patch 1" or something if the project is particularly formal,
>   or might just be identified by git/svn/etc. commit ID

we usually do not do that. The patch set I mentioned (here on list and in
the advisory) contains patches for versions we will never touch.

> * even if 1.2.3 is vulnerable and always will be, a downstream vendor
>   like Debian or Red Hat might release a derived version like
>   1.2.3-4+deb7u5 which incorporates the recommended patch from the
>   upstream project, or a patch from the vendor or a third party, and so
>   is not vulnerable

same here

Yeah, so to solve the obviously vague wording:

- 7.6.7 is not vulnerable, all previous v7 are.
- 8.4.2 is not vulnerable, all previous v8 are.
- all older ("totally dead") versions are vulnerable to the extend as
described in the advisory and patches as linked to in the advisory can be
used to solve the issue for some of these versions.
- for v7 and v8 no specific patch files exist because we have released new
stable versions. Nobody should ever use an old stable version, because the
difference to the current stable is missing bugfixes.

Thanks,
Rainer