Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 15:01:12 +0000
From: mancha <>
Cc: Solar Designer <>,
Subject: Re: sysklogd vulnerability (CVE-2014-3634)

On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 01:53:02PM +0200, Rainer Gerhards wrote:
> I didn't try out sysklogd as I was busy enough with rsyslog BUT I can
> crash unpatched rsyslog v3 and the code path in question is extremely
> similar in those two.

OK, I just graduated from my crash-course on setting up an unpatched
rsyslog 3.22.3 daemon.

I've hit it with lots of pri "vals" including: x112,
80000000000000000000000000000000, my lottery numbers, and the magical
3500000000 but am unable to crash it.

printline()'s are very similar like you say so it would be worthwhile if
we could dig a little.

Rainer, would you be able to provide a backtrace? or be more specific
about the steps you took to crash it?

PS I've taken Joey off the CC list because he's not expressed any
interest in this and is probably busy adding to his spamassassin