Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 16:27:46 +0200
From: Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Healing the bash fork

On 10/01/2014 03:32 PM, Tomas Hoger wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 19:19:55 -0400 (EDT) David A. Wheeler wrote:
>
>> * Approach 1: Florian Weimer's approach.  Bash functions to be
>> exported have a prefix ("BASH_FUNC_") and suffix added.  Then, ONLY
>> environment variables with that prefix and suffix are interpreted
>> specially.  This approach is used by Red Hat, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu,
>> and Cygwin (at least), and was later accepted into bash upstream.
>> The original approach used "()" as the suffix; bash upstream took
>> this but switched to the "%%" suffix instead, which is a nice
>> improvement (since "%" is not a shell metacharacter this is less
>> likely to trigger OTHER problems).  I know Cygwin is using the bash
>> upstream '%%' suffix.
>
> The following indicates there is other prefix and suffix used, that
> makes these incompatibility issues worse:
>
>    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6495
>
>    The names of all environment variables that introduce function
>    definitions are required to have a prefix "__BASH_FUNC<" and suffix
>    ">()" to prevent unintended function passing via HTTP headers.

I initially dismissed this as a presentation artifact in the web page,
but it's true, there are additional <> characters in the mangled name.
I wonder what breaks as a result.  At least () and %% are somewhat
benign in their effect if they are used unquoted in the relevant places
(error, not accidental file creation).

(To be absolute clear, I do not see any security issues with Apple's
choice of mangling.)