Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 11:12:03 +0100
From: John Haxby <john.haxby@...cle.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: pinocchio tmp vuln

On 09/09/14 20:14, Mikko Korpela wrote:
> "And we will need that because there are so many
> devices hitting the streets with so many noob vulns that it's only a
> matter of time before someone is killed."
>
> So umm.. Your saying that you guys are saving the world by finding out
> random packages that use easily g

No.

That is a little out of context.   The problem is that there are a lot
of naïve developers who have little idea about security issues.  The
more we (any of us can do) to highlight the problems anywhere means that
there are better chances of those same developers becoming aware of the
issues.

The fatality bit is perhaps a little over the top, but not much.   I
recall a couple of problems from comparatively recent times that caused
physical destruction of hardware: one was a (CRT) monitor, the other a
printer.  I think the printer was potentially connected to the Internet.
 In older times, we had disk packs coming out of a drive like a huge
multi-layered frisbee (someone had the bright idea of double the spin
but the bearings for the disk weren't up to it) or the chain in a chain
printer breaking and finding a letter "p" embedded in the wall months later.

Imagine an internet-connected TV that has the potential to overheat and
catch fire due to some bug.   Some script-kiddie thinks that it would be
fun to use one of the other vulns to break in and cause the TV to catch
fire.  At night.  When the owners are asleep ...

Security education is important.

jch