Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 20:33:20 +0200
From: Thijs Kinkhorst <thijs@...ian.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Werner Koch <wk@...pg.org>, pkg-gnupg-maint@...ts.alioth.debian.org
Subject: gpg blindly imports keys from keyserver responses

All,

Stefan Tomanek reported to Debian that GnuPG accepts any key as a response
from a keyserver, regardless of whether that key was actually requested:
https://bugs.debian.org/725411

There's some discussion about the issue; we believe that the primary way to
verify key ownership is still the web of trust and manual fingerprint
verification. It is however argued that as a user, requesting keys based on
specifying the full fingerprint is a safe way to retreive a key for a known-
good fingerprint. But this argument is again somewhat countered by an attack
on V3 keys which allows generating such fingerprints, making such a request
dubious again.

All in all, the safe choice seems to be to patch this issue, so Debian will
release updates for it. It has been fixed upstream in GnuPG 1.4.17 with this
commit:
http://git.gnupg.org/cgi-
bin/gitweb.cgi?p=gnupg.git;a=commit;h=5230304349490f31aa64ee2b69a8a2bc06bf7816

I'll leave it to the numbering authorities whether this is something that
should get a CVE id.

Cheers,
Thijs Kinkhorst
Debian Security Team

Download attachment "signature.asc " of type "application/pgp-signature" (474 bytes)