Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 00:18:40 -0700
From: Kenton Varda <kenton@...dstorm.io>
To: cve-assign@...re.org
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Request: ro bind mount bypass using user namespaces

I'm happy with however you want to assign credit here, but for
clarification:

I actually observed that all these bits could be modified. My first
observation was with nosuid. But, I thought they were just the same issue
applied to different bits in the same bitfield. I specifically used the RO
bit in my PoC. Looking back, it looks like I didn't explicitly point out
which other bits were affected, but Eric quickly re-discovered them, and
also discovered from reviewing the code that the other bits had even fewer
guards against modification compared to the RO bit.

Andrew Lutomirski has further discovered that this problem can be used to
escalate a regular user to root privileges on typical Linux configurations,
independent of any sandboxing effort.

Thanks,
-Kenton