Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 06:59:04 +0200
From: Salvatore Bonaccorso <>
Cc: Michael Sweet <>,,
	CVE Assignments MITRE <>
Subject: CVE Request: cups: Incomplete fix for CVE-2014-3537

CVE-2014-3537 was allocated for
(Insufficient checking leads to privilege escalation). The intention
in the fix was to dissalow symlinks.

With the fix applied fo CVE-2014-3537 this is still possible in some
cases (where language[0] is null), see

Additionally Michael Sweet wrote:

> Yes, it looks like this needs to be an lstat as well, and we should
> probably add similar protections to the directory index files (which
> are also using stat).

Could a CVE be assigned to identify this? (Question: one CVE should be
enough for the additional fix for all the missing remaining lstat?).