Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 22:51:51 +0200
From: Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, misc@...b.org
CC: cve-assign@...re.org
Subject: Re: Re: Ansible CVE requests

On 06/26/2014 08:18 PM, cve-assign@...re.org wrote:
> We think 998793fd0ab55705d57527a38cee5e83f535974c is about fixing one
> type of issue, but feel free to identify any additional types of
> issues that are also fixed. Use CVE-2014-4657 for the general topic of
> "the product intentionally allows code execution of code with limited
> capabilities, but the code restrictions are insufficient."
> https://github.com/ansible/ansible/blob/release1.5.5/CHANGELOG.md
> suggests that this was fixed in 1.5.4.

It turns out that the fix was incomplete:

https://github.com/ansible/ansible/commit/5429b85b9f6c2e640074176f36ff0

Upstream announcement:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?_escaped_fragment_=msg/ansible-announce/ieV1vZvcTXU/5Q93ThkY9rIJ

I think this warrants a separate CVE ID.  There is some debate whether
this actually crosses a security boundary, but upstream thinks it does,
after some consideration.

Note that the subsequent commit looks extremely suspicious as far as the
sandboxing is concerned:

https://github.com/ansible/ansible/commit/35368e531b36c800ff6e61fc79fcd9

I'll try to figure out what's going on.