Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 19:20:09 -0700
From: Russ Allbery <eagle@...ie.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: openafs-gatekeepers@...nafs.org
Subject: CVE request: OpenAFS 1.6.8 TMAY fileserver crashes

New code introduced in OpenAFS 1.6.8 does not properly zero fields in the
host structure in the OpenAFS fileserver, leading to some variables in the
host structure being left initialized from recycled heap memory.  While no
mechanism for exploitation is currently known, the affected file server
provides a network service and this sort of problem tends to be
exploitable with sufficient effort.

Below is the public disclosure of this issue to one of the OpenAFS mailing
lists.  OpenAFS 1.6.7 is not affected.  I don't believe any stable
distribution is affected, but Debian unstable, testing, and
wheezy-backports are affected.

The upstream stable fix is at:

    http://gerrit.openafs.org/#change,11283

which reverts the newly-added code in its entirety.  (A more thorough fix
that eliminates a fragile way of initializing structures is being worked
on for the master branch.)  An OpenAFS 1.6.9 release with this fix is
expected in the near future.

Could we get a CVE assigned to this problem, please?

Here is the original report:

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@...ie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>