Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 17:14:04 +0000
From: mancha <mancha1@...o.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: info@...uxfoundation.org, admin@...ncryptoaudit.org, mgreen@...jhu.edu
Subject: Re: Linux Foundation OpenSSL audit

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 03:20:29AM +0000, mancha wrote:
> The Linux Foundation's Core Infratructure Initiative (CII), born
> during the aftermath of Heartbleed, has announced five new corporate
> sponsors as well as its immediate plans to support the NTP, OpenSSH,
> and OpenSSL projects. [1]
>
> I applaud both the Linux Foundation and all its corporate sponsors for
> their inspiring leadership and vision.
>
> In the case of OpenSSL, some of the funding will be channeled through
> the Open Crypto Audit Project (OCAP) which is being charged with its
> security audit.
>
> OCAP can benefit greatly from reviewing OpenBSD's ongoing OpenSSL
> audit/review process which was the genesis for LibreSSL. I am cc'ing
> OCAP so they might comment on how the LibreSSL effort will factor into
> their workplan.
>
> Further, I am aware the OpenBSD Foundation has reached out to CII to
> request LibreSSL funding support. Given OpenBSD's solid track record
> and the leadership and initiative they've demonstrated through
> LibreSSL, I would appreciate if CII (also cc'd) would comment on that
> outstanding request.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> --mancha
>
> [1]
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/announcements/2014/05/core-infrastructure-initiative-announces-new-backers

To clarify my last post, I have no affiliation to OpenBSD or OpenSSL.
However, having contributed to both OpenSSL and LibreSSL (albeit
modestly) and having been actively tracking both projects, I've seen
many synergies in action.

For example, LibreSSL has taken issues/fixes directly from OpenSSL's RT
tracker while OpenSSL has adopted/modified fixes from LibreSSL. As the
security community is aware of, moreso than most regular end-users, this
positive feedback mechanism benefits both projects and ultimately
everyone within the ecosystem.

In that sense, supporting OpenSSL and LibreSSL sequentially rather than
concurrently limits the role CII can play in catalyzing synergies
between the projects.

Moreover, if CII support helps OpenBSD realize/accelerate a portable
LibreSSL version, users on many platforms will benefit from the
increased choice - competition breeds success.

Matt, I have added you to the CC list because as co-founder of OCAP you
can share with us how the progress OpenBSD has already made with
auditing OpenSSL will factor into OCAP's own OpenSSL audit. And, because
you also sit on CII's advisory board, you might be able to help us by
forwarding this thread to the appropriate person(s) at CII so they can
elaborate on how OpenBSD's LibreSSL support request is progressing.

Many thanks.