Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 15:26:17 +0200
From: Petr Matousek <pmatouse@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request Linux kernel: forbid uaddr == uaddr2
 in futex_wait_requeue_pi() to avoid null dereference

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 03:19:42PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 06:41:14PM +0530, P J P wrote:
> >     Hello,
> >
> > Linux kernel built with the fast userspace mutexes(CONFIG_FUTEX) support is
> > vulnerable to a NULL pointer dereference flaw. It could occur when a waiting
> > task requests wait to be re-queued from non-PI futex to a PI-aware futex via
> > FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI operation.
> >
> > An unprivileged user/program could use this flaw to crash the system kernel
> > resulting in DoS.
> >
> > Upstream fix:
> > -------------
> >    -> https://git.kernel.org/linus/6f7b0a2a5c0fb03be7c25bd1745baa50582348ef
> >
> > Introduced in:
> >    -> https://git.kernel.org/linus/52400ba946759af28442dee6265c5c0180ac7122
>
> Why are we asking for CVEs for patches that were written 2 years ago?

It is a security issue and some vendors might not have backported this
patch to their kernels. In this case it's us. For tracking purposes we
asked for CVE assignment.

--
Petr Matousek / Red Hat Security Response Team
PGP: 0xC44977CA 8107 AF16 A416 F9AF 18F3  D874 3E78 6F42 C449 77CA