Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 08:04:53 +0400
From: Solar Designer <>
Subject: Defeating memory comparison timing oracles

Florian made this nice Red Hat security blog post a couple of days ago:

The idea is to harden glibc's memcmp(3) to be partially timing-safe,
maybe only in the -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 mode.

While I don't mind having memcmp(3) sometimes hardened, I think we
primarily need to have an explicit timing-safe memory comparison
function in glibc and elsewhere, and I think it'd be natural to adopt
OpenBSD's timingsafe_bcmp() prototype and semantics:

People will need this very function e.g. when making LibReSSL portable:

Some good reading on the problem and possible solutions: