Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 16:26:16 -0500
From: Tyler Hicks <tyhicks@...onical.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Request for linux-distros list membership

On 2014-04-10 06:50:59, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 04/09/14 23:25, Solar Designer wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 11:57:33PM -0600, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> >> So first off I'm inclined to have Amazon on the distros list
> >> (same reasons as Oracle basically).
> >>
> >> My only concern is are you the correct person, I have no clue who
> >> is on the Amazon security team for their Linux distribution, I've
> >> never seen you post anything anywhere.
> >>
> >> Your search - site:aws.amazon.com Anthony Liguori - did not match
> >> any documents.
> >>
> >> Your search - site:aws.amazon.com aliguori@...zon.com - did not
> >> match any documents.
> >>
> >> Can we somehow get confirmation from Amazon that this is the
> >> right person to have on distros? Thanks.
> >
> > Yes, we need this sort of confirmation.  My other concerns are:
>
> Matt commented earlier.  Max will also confirm.  Is that sufficient?
>
> Between the three of us, there should be enough public evidence and
> enough people already on the list who have worked with one of us in
> the past.

I worked closely with Anthony when we were both employed by IBM. I know
him very well in a work setting and also quite well outside of work.

I've spoken with him, face-to-face over dinner at LinuxCon/Plumbers
2013 [1], about his decision to leave IBM [2] and take a position at
Amazon. I knew it involved EC2 but he could not divulge details at the
time. I have absolutely no concerns about Anthony's request being
devious in nature, especially considering that two other Amazon
employees are saying that he's the right contact for the company.

I also think his knowledge of the Linux virtualization stack would be
a great addition to the list.

I'll leave the discussion about if/when Amazon should gain access to the
distros lists to others, but I do vouch for Anthony.

Tyler

[1] http://linuxconcloudopenna2013.sched.org/speaker/aliguori#.U0cImKZSiI8
[2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2013-08/msg02614.html

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (820 bytes)