Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 09:11:10 -0800
From: Russ Allbery <eagle@...ie.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: ratulg@...hat.com,  erg@...m.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Re: CVE Request: graphviz: stack-based buffer overflow in yyerror()

Sebastian Krahmer <krahmer@...e.de> writes:

> Funny enough that tools like graphviz qualify for CVE assignments :)

> Do not get me wrong, I really like graphviz, its a great tool and I use
> it myself; but probably like 2 scientists or 1 anti-terror fed plotting
> his graphs in the whole world would be targeted attacked using dot files
> sent via mail I guess.

I wouldn't be so certain.  :)  I've gotten dot files in email a fair bit
while working on free software projects since it's a really useful way of
expressing dependency trees and similar structures.  So the possibility of
a targetted exploit is there, particularly given that mailing list traffic
is generally completely unauthenticated.  It's not hard for someone to
pretend to be another participant and mail a doctored dot file to a
development team.  The deception would probably be discovered reasonably
quickly, but possibly not before damage was done.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@...ie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>