Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 01:32:38 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: George Argyros <argyros.george@...il.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, Aggelos Kiayias <aggelos@...yias.com>,
	Vladimir Vorontsov <vladimir.vorontsov@...ec.ru>,
	gifts <gifts.antichat@...il.com>
Subject: Re: Randomness Attacks Against PHP Applications

Hi George and all,

It's been a year, and I happened to implement some enhancements to
php_mt_seed last month.  Although oss-security is not meant to be a
place to announce new versions of security tools, I think having this
one posting added to the existing thread is appropriate.

php_mt_seed is now beyond PoC, and it has a homepage at:

http://www.openwall.com/php_mt_seed/

Please see below for some detail on what has changed:

> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 1:14 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > The way I'd approach this is by limiting the set of possible seeds based
> > on the first mt_rand() output (perhaps with a min-max range, so _many_
> > seeds will be potentially valid - could be millions, yet significantly
> > fewer than the full 4 billion set).  This can be accomplished almost as
> > quickly as cracking the seed based on an exact mt_rand() output (full
> > 31 bits of it, no min-max range) - that is, in one minute on CPU.  Then
> > slower, but more generic code may be used to filter out the impossible
> > seeds based on further mt_rand() outputs, until there's just one seed
> > value left.  The slowness of that second cracker would not matter much
> > because it'd only need to search a much smaller seed space.

I've implemented this without having to store the subset of seeds
matching the first mt_rand() output.  The extra checks are performed
by the same thread that finds the first output match, with the seed
still in a local variable (perhaps still in a CPU register, even).

> > A limitation, though, is that the very first mt_rand() output after
> > seeding must be among those available, even if in truncated form.  If it
> > is not, then more of the state has to be maintained in the initial
> > cracking pass, thereby making it slightly slower.  When the first output
> > is (at least partially) available, we only need 3 state elements, so
> > they're kept in registers nicely.

I was wrong to say that more state "has to" be maintained.  In cases
like this, it's either storage/retrieval or recomputation.  For the
current implementation, I chose the latter.  Current php_mt_seed
recomputes just the required portions of MT's state if and when the
extra comparisons are invoked.

So current php_mt_seed is able to find seeds based on one or many,
initial or not, and exact or not mt_rand() outputs.  Some examples of
this are given here:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/announce/2013/11/04/1
http://www.openwall.com/php_mt_seed/README
http://forum.insidepro.com/viewtopic.php?t=22342

I've also added AVX2 and MIC (Xeon Phi) intrinsics.  In basic invocation
mode (that is, given one full and exact mt_rand() output value),
php_mt_seed 3.2 searches the full 32-bit seeds space on a Core i7-4770K
at stock clocks in 48 seconds, and on a Xeon Phi 5110P in 7 seconds.  In
advanced invocation modes, these are slightly higher - e.g., 51 seconds
and 11 seconds, respectively, for the sample set of mt_rand(0, 61)
outputs given by the InsidePro forum's user.

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:42:24PM -0400, George Argyros wrote:
> This sounds like a good approach and it would probably be faster when
> even truncated outputs are available. The problem is that we
> encountered quite a few applications with a pattern of generating
> tokens like md5(mt_rand()), and in general we found all kinds of weird
> ways to generate tokens that a random developer came up with. In the
> md5 case you won't be able to get the output of mt_rand unless you
> bruteforce the md5 in the same fashion (which would still be faster
> using code like the one you wrote, than using our approach, however
> you will need to write some application specific code for cracking and
> thats what we wanted to avoid).

Well, yes, in your example the md5() currently would not fit into
php_mt_seed's standard code and invocation modes - however, it is fairly
easy to hack into the source.

> Our goal was to provide a usable interface so that people will only
> have to deal with the application specific part of the attack, rather
> than getting the cracking done correctly. Nevertheless, I think that
> applications that leak an mt_rand output are common out there and in
> that case your cracker is a simpler and faster choice since it does
> not require the user to write any C code at all. For cases when more
> complex token generation algorithms are used I think that an approach
> that takes care of all the cracking like the one we used may be
> better. Also in case you use the option to generate some rainbow
> tables (which may take some time too, depending on the "hash" function
> used), the online search time will be a few seconds.
> Another option could be to combine these two approaches and further
> optimize the code that handles the cracking while also providing a
> basic optimized version of mt_rand like the one you wrote to use when
> writing other more complex "hash" functions.

I'm not familiar with your approach.  With current php_mt_seed, the
extra md5() or whatever would need to be hacked into the diff()
function, and the MATCH_PURE flag would need to be reset.  I don't see
how it can get much easier than that - well, short of providing ready to
use primitives implementing common PHP functions such as md5().

Finally, to make this posting more appropriate for oss-security: it
appears that Drupal and WordPress need to have their random password
generation fixed:

https://twitter.com/solardiz/status/397380784128270336
https://api.drupal.org/api/drupal/core!modules!user!user.module/function/user_password/8

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/25816