Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 07:34:20 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: RESEND: CVE Request: pwgen

Kurt, Steve, all -

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 03:35:09PM +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> It might just not be that CVE worthy. But I saw no replies...

I now think it is CVE worthy.

> (CVE worthyness:
> It does not fully meet the security expectations of generating
> a non-weak password by default....
> )
>
> Solar? Kurt?

Kurt was "sitting on the fence for this one":

http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2012/01/17/12

At the time, I replied that it was too early for the CVE aspect, as I
was still figuring out the magnitude of the problem:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2012/01/17/14

Steve replied that having an insecure feature documented does not always
preclude from CVE assignment:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2012/01/17/15

To this, I can add that although the phoneme mode is documented as being
less secure, the magnitude and ways in which it is less secure are
unclear from the documentation.  Specifically, there's no mention that
the distribution of generated passwords is highly non-uniform, and
indeed this is not clear from merely looking at a handful of passwords.
(I guess this non-uniformity was not expected by the author, and thus it
is a bug.)

Also, without looking at the documentation, it is not even immediately
clear (to a new user of the program) that phonemes are being used.
At first glance, the passwords look like they could potentially use the
full 62^8 keyspace - but this is actually not the case, by far.  So the
program's default behavior is misleading.

The thread ended here, with some figures showing just how bad the
problem is:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2012/01/22/6

The CVE aspect was not revisited.

Here are the figures for pwgen's defaults with output to tty:

Top 1 million of unique passwords from my 1 billion training set cracks
3.7% of passwords in the test set.

Top 10 million cracks 14.5%.

Top 44 million cracks 21%.  (I chose this as an optimal wordlist size.)

Top 100 million cracks 26.3%.

With pwgen's defaults with output to non-tty:

Top 45.5 million cracks 75%.  (Ouch!)

These results can be improved a little bit (slightly higher percentages
cracked per same wordlist size) by using a larger training set (beyond 1
billion) or by considering all of the phoneme probabilities, etc. and
creating a program that would output pwgen's possible passwords in an
optimal order (this proves to be a non-trivial task so far, yet someone
may do it).

Alexander