Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 02:55:49 +0200
From: Bernhard Miklautz <bmiklautz@...nstuff.at>
To: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, Jan Lieskovsky <jlieskov@...hat.com>,
	"Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>,
	Marc-André Moreau <marcandre.moreau@...il.com>,
	Martin Fleisz <mfleisz@...nstuff.at>
Subject: Re: CVE Request -- FreeRDP: Multiple security fixes
 in 1.1.0-beta1 version

Hi Kurt,

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 12:48:19PM -0600, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> > (some time ago) FreeRDP upstream has released 1.1.0-beta1 version:
> > [1] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=30591956
to clarify our current stable version is 1.0.2. FreeRDP version 1.1.0 is *beta* and
still under development and therefore not stable or production ready and
subject to frequent changes (as [1] also stated).

> > correcting multiple security flaws: * library / client side fixes:
> > https://github.com/FreeRDP/FreeRDP/pull/887
> Can someone from upstream confirm if these are hardening or a security fix?
Hardening.

> > https://github.com/FreeRDP/FreeRDP/commit/0dc22d5a30a1c7d146b2a835b2032668127c33e9
> > https://github.com/FreeRDP/FreeRDP/commit/bceec083677a609ba2f06cc75924ab0accac5388
> Can someone from upstream confirm if these are hardening or a security fix?
Neither nor.

> > * server side fixes:
> > https://github.com/FreeRDP/FreeRDP/commit/7d58aac24fe20ffaad7bd9b40c9ddf457c1b06e7
> Please use CVE-2013-4118 for this issue.

> > https://github.com/FreeRDP/FreeRDP/commit/0773bb9303d24473fe1185d85a424dfe159aff53
> Please use CVE-2013-4119 for this issue.

There might also be some misunderstanding. The initial CVE request stated that
1.1.0-beta1 corrected these flaws but as a matter of fact only the commits from pull request
887 and commit 7d58aac24fe20ffaad7bd9b40c9ddf457c1b06e7 are contained. - The other issues are
fixed in our git master branch.

We've created a snapshot that contains all the fixes mentioned above:

http://pub.freerdp.com/releases/freerdp-1.1.0-beta+2013071101.tar.gz
md5: 108f8404b210ea789226cbca65c43724
sha1: a79d0174b0487abb900601c67572aa6dbfc12629

We will also review our current stable version to check if the issues
exist there as well and publish an update if required.

Thank you,
best regards,
Bernhard