Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 16:34:16 -0700
From: Steven Ciaburri <steve@...k911.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Kernel: 2.6.32+ IP_RETOPTS Buffer Poisoning DoS
 hemlock.c

Kurt,

I just loaded a a virtual machine at Rackspace Cloud running RHEL. It is a Xen based VM.

[steven@...l ~]$ ./a.out
[+] giving ourselves some poison...
[+] polluted kernelspace with more crap
[+] polluted kernelspace with more crap
[+] polluted kernelspace with more crap
[+] polluted kernelspace with more crap
[+] polluted kernelspace with more crap
[+] polluted kernelspace with more crap
[+] polluted kernelspace with more crap

at which point the server kernel paniced.

The server is running 2.6.32-358.11.1.el6.x86_64
I did discover that it appears with SELINUX enabled the POC can go through a considerable amount of tries before it crashes.