Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 22:49:12 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: Open Source Security <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>,
        cve-assign@...re.org, "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...re.org>
Subject: 1.2k bug reports for Debian, some may be security

From: Alexandre Rebert <alexandre.rebert@...il.com>

Hi,

I am a security researcher at Carnegie Mellon University, and my team
has found thousands of crashes in binaries downloaded from debian
wheeze packages. After contacting owner@...s.debian.org, Don Armstrong
advised us to contact you before submitting ~1.2K bug reports to the
Debian BTS using maintonly@...s.debian.org (to avoid spamming
debian-bugs-dist).

We found the bugs using Mayhem [1], an automatic bug finding system
that we've been developing in David Brumley's research lab for a
couple of years. We recently ran Mayhem on almost all ELF binaries of
Debian Wheezy (~23K binaries) [2], and it reported thousands of
crashes.
=================

I will of course be doing CVEs for these (*sob*). In order to make
this possible though I'm going to need some help in the form of good
CVE requests in this case I will be fascist. The following data will
be required:

For each package:
CVE requesters name / email (sending an email should be fine)
Official Debian Package name
Official upstream name and URL to site
Affected version in Debian

Then for each vuln:
Link to Debian bug entry
Description of vuln/type (like one sentence)
Link to code fix (mandatory)
Attack outcome (is this a security vulnerability in other words)

Or else I will get steam rolled.

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993