Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 20:16:20 +0200
From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <>
To: oss-security <>
Subject: CVE Request: cgit directory traversal

Hi Kurt,

As mentioned in early messages to oss-sec, I've inherited
maintainership of the cgit codebase and am gradually auditing it.
Today I found a nasty directory traversal:

This should be pretty straightforward to categorize.

Exploitation looks like:

I've committed a fix for it here:

And this fix will be in the master branch and a new release will be made soon.

Cgit by default is not vulnerable to this, and the vulnerability only
exists when a user has configured cgit to use a readme file from a
filesystem filepath instead of from the git repo itself. Until a
release is made, administrators are urged to disable reading the
readme file from a filepath, if currently enabled.