Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 15:24:59 +0300
From: Timo Sirainen <tss@....fi>
To: Jan Lieskovsky <jlieskov@...hat.com>
Cc: Agostino Sarubbo <ago@...too.org>,
 oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request: dovecot : "APPEND" Parameters Processing Denial of Service Vulnerability

On 22.5.2013, at 15.17, Jan Lieskovsky <jlieskov@...hat.com> wrote:

> [...]

A logged in user can cause his own IMAP connection process to eat 100% CPU, so it won't immediately hang other users. By default users can log in max. 10 times from the same IP, so attacker requires many IPs to cause a real DoS. And of course a valid user account, which means it will be immediately visible to admin who is causing the system to slow down.

> Timo, can you confirm / disprove a CVE identifier should be assigned to this?

I'm not against it, but I don't see this as that big of an issue, especially with v2.2 still not being widely used.