Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 19:41:32 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Forest Monsen <forest.monsen@...il.com>
Subject: Re: CVE request for a Drupal contributed module

On 05/15/2013 01:16 PM, Forest Monsen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'd like to request a CVE identifier for an issue in a contributed
> module:
>
> SA-CONTRIB-2013-047 - Google Authenticator login - Access Bypass
> https://drupal.org/node/1995706
>
> Thanks!
>
> Forest

This sounds like two separate issues:

Accidental removal of account configuration.

In certain scenarios, Google Authenticator login incorrectly
determines the user's account name. The change in account name could
cause the two-factor authentication for existing accounts to be lost,
allowing users to log in using just username and password.

This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact while Google Authenticator
login's additional verification is by-passed, a username and password
are still required to log in.

One Time Password (OTP) replay

If an attacker can intercept a login request with a username, password
and OTP, an attacker could use this same data again to login to the
website.

This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that an attacker who can
intercept a login request with this level of detail can usually also
intercept the ongoing session identifying token.

can you send me the code patches fixing this so I can make sure it
gets the correct SPLIT/MERGE treatment? Thanks.

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993