Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 00:47:33 -0400
From: Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Request: linux kernel perf out-of-bounds
 access

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 09:26:30AM +0800, Eugene Teo wrote:
> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 8:25 PM, Marc Deslauriers <
> marc.deslauriers@...onical.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is there a CVE for this? If not, could one be assigned, please?
> >
> > https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/2441281/
> >
> > 8176cced706b5e5d15887584150764894e94e02f
> >
> > (BTW, there is currently an exploit for this going around...)
> >

> Nowhere did it say it is a security fix. Fix available since April 13.
> s@...s not aware too. Awesome.
>
> Seriously, surely by now we should all know that silent fixes are not the
> wisest thing to do.

I do not think anyone realized it was a "security" fix.  It was never
mentioned to the security@...nel.org alias, and I only picked it up
for the stable releases because someone said, "hey, here's another
trinity bugfix that userspace can trigger".  We fix those all the time,
every single stable kernel release.

The only thing different this time is someone took the time to develop a
simple exploit for others to use.

So I don't think this was any more or less "silent" than the normal
kernel bug fixes that happen every single week.

thanks,

greg k-h