Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 17:00:07 +0200
From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des@....no>
To: Open Source Security <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Advisory dates

I'm curious as to what kind of policies various distros have in place
wrt release dates for advisories.  We (FreeBSD) have a list of dates to
avoid, which include major religious holidays, New Year's Day etc., and
try to avoid releasing advisories on or immediately before these dates.
But May is often problematic, with May Day (May 1st) and Liberation Day
(May 8th in Western Europe, May 9th in Eastern Europe) clustered
together.  An early Easter adds Ascension to the mix (May 17th last
year, May 9th this year).  A late Easter is even worse: the Holy Week in
late April, followed by a four-day week, with the next week cut short by
May 1st and the one after that amputated by May 8th / 9th.

Not to mention national or regional holidays such as Cinco de Mayo (May
5th, obviously) or Norway's Constitution Day (May 17th)...

How do you deal with situations like this?  And do you have documented
policies or guidelines?

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des@....no