Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 01:27:00 +0200
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@...src.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: upstream source code authenticity checking

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 12:39:39AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just found this recent blog post by Allan McRae of Arch Linux:
>
> http://allanmcrae.com/2012/04/how-secure-is-the-source-code/
>
> Thank you for doing this, Allan!  Are you contacting the upstream
> authors to request that they start to properly sign their releases?
> (I've been doing that on some occasions, sometimes with success.)
>
> I think that placing both "MD5 checksum provided on same site as
> download" and "PGP signature, key difficult to verify" in the same
> "yellow" category is inconvenient for us.  "MD5 checksum provided on
> same site as download" only helps verify downloads from mirrors against
> the master site, whereas "PGP signature, key difficult to verify"
> achieves a lot more - once a distro is already including the package
> (and has already taken the risk of it having been tampered with), then
> verifying further updates to the package becomes almost as reliable as
> it would have been with proper signing (with a "readily verifiable" key).
> So we need four categories, or simply "MD5 checksum provided on same
> site as download" should be in "red", not in "yellow".

The BSD ports and packages systems have had this checking in place
since day 1, and with different checksums - FreeBSD now use sha256,
pkgsrc uses sha1 and rmd160, and I don't know what OpenBSD uses;
the digests are all held as part of the packaging system itself.

One of the side benefits of this is recognising when upstream changes
tarballs without changing version numbers.

I think the Arch Linux people could leverage the work done here.

Regards,
Alistair