Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 16:39:56 +0100
From: Sebastian Krahmer <>
Subject: CLONE_NEWUSER|CLONE_FS root exploit

Seems like CLONE_NEWUSER|CLONE_FS might be a forbidden
During evaluating the new user namespace thingie, it turned out
that its trivially exploitable to get a (real) uid 0,
as demonstrated here:

The trick is to setup a chroot in your CLONE_NEWUSER,
but also affecting the parent, which is running
in the init_user_ns, but with the chroot shared.
Then its trivial to get a rootshell from that.

Tested on a openSUSE12.1 with a custom build 3.8.2 (x86_64).

I hope I didnt make anything wrong, mixing up the UIDs,
or disabled important checks during kernel build on my test
system. ;)

~ perl
~ $_='print"\$_=\47$_\47;eval"';eval
~ - SuSE Security Team