Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 14:30:39 +0100
From: Raphael Geissert <geissert@...ian.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE id request: busybox

Hi Kurt,

On 4 March 2013 03:26, Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com> wrote:
[...]
> I didn't say I;'m excluding them. I simply will require an original
> source, in this case the year is probably wrong.

Not bikeshedding here, but sometimes those bug reports *are* the
original source.
And with all due respect, it has happened before that you've asked for
an "original source" (upstream commit or bug report) when there exists
none. All it has lead is to the CVE request becoming stalled or even
abandoned.

What can we do about it?

We already have a quite long list of issues without a CVE id and this
is not good for anybody:
https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/data/fake-names

(nb. some of the issues in the list might already have an id but the
temporary entry hasn't been removed or it was decided that no id
should be assigned)

Regards,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer