Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 12:50:31 -0700
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Michael Tokarev <mjt@....msk.ru>,
        Piotr Karbowski <piotr.karbowski@...il.com>
Subject: Re: CVE id request: busybox

On 03/03/2013 08:01 AM, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> 03.03.2013 18:33, Piotr Karbowski wrote:
>> On 03/03/2013 11:19 AM, Michael Tokarev wrote:
>>> What it has to do with Debian, besides that debian was first to
>>> actually submit this bug into its own bug tracker?
>>
>> Acctualy not the first, the bug was reported to busybox
>> mailinglist on 18 Dec 2012.
>
> That's where I noticed it and submitted a bugreport to Debian BTS
> from there.
>
> Note that I didn't want to request a CVE# for that, and used a
> somewhat low severify value for the report in the Debian BTS (which
> was quite some time after the initial report).
>
> If I thought it deserves a CVE, I'd request one right after seeing
> the discussion in question :)
>
> But I guess we're muddling waters for too much already.  I merely
> commented on the joke about Debian, -- the issue is definitely not
> debian-specific, Debian does not even use mdev from busybox (but
> allows to use it to the users).
>
> Thanks,
>
> /mjt

This actually raises a good point, due to Debian being a secondary
source in most cases (e.g. upstream has a bug report which is then
copied into Debian's bug tracker since Debian ships it) the dates and
sometimes information is wrong. I will no longer be issuing CVE's for
issues brought up through the Debian bugtracker without an original
source to back it up, otherwise more mistakes will happen which is not
good.

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993