Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 19:26:39 +0100
From: Petr Matousek <pmatouse@...hat.com>
To: Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request - Linux kernel: VFAT slab-based
 buffer overflow

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:05:20AM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 05:13:06PM +0100, Petr Matousek wrote:
> > >
> > > That's not going to happen, and you know that, to do so would be
> > > totally
> > > irresponsible of us and directly harm your users.  That's what
> > > vendor-sec (or whatever it is called now) is for.
> >
> > linux-distros [1] is vendor-sec replacement for Linux related issues.

Greg, FYI. The linux-distros mailing list has strict rules about the
maximum embargo period. It is ~14 days. I hope that ~14 days are
acceptable as a grace period for you when the commit goes public. At the
end of the embargo period the info is always sent to oss-sec with CVE id
assigned.

Also, Alexander, are you willing to accept the semi-public nature of the
sko submissions to linux-distros and treat them as embargoed even though
the commit is already public?

For me, this solutions is not optimal as we usually treat any issue that
has public commit as public one, but it would at least avoid
CVE-2013-0871 like problems.

Thanks,
--
Petr Matousek / Red Hat Security Response Team