Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 23:16:41 -0700
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: A small backlog of vulnerabilities in Chicken
 Scheme

On 02/06/2013 07:29 PM, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> Sorry for the delay, it's been a crazy couple of weeks.
>
> On 02/02/2013 06:59 AM, Peter Bex wrote:
>> Hello all,
>
>> Recently a handful of security bugs have been found and fixed in
>> the Chicken Scheme compiler (http://www.call-cc.org).  We (the
>> core team) have decided we'd like to start using CVE identifiers
>> for the benefit of our users and distributions.
>
>> I'd like to request CVEs for the currently known security bugs:
>
>> * POSIX select() buffer overrun, fixed on in Chicken 4.8.2
>> (development snapshot) by switching to POSIX poll() on platforms
>> where supported. This is also fixed in 4.8.0.1 (stability
>> release).
>
>> Original announcement, with workaround (followed by preliminary
>> patch):
>> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/chicken-users/2012-06/msg00031.html
>

> Final patch:
>> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/chicken-hackers/2012-11/msg00075.html
>

> Can
>
> you list the versions released that included the broken and correct
> patch? thanks.

Please use CVE-2012-6122 for this issue.

>> * Poisoned NUL byte injection due to incomplete protection by
>> missing checks in some procedures, fixed in Chicken 4.8.0:
>> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/chicken-users/2012-09/msg00004.html

Please

use CVE-2012-6123 for this issue.

>> * Broken randomization procedure on 64-bit platforms (it
>> returned a constant value).  This function wasn't used for
>> security purposes (and is advertised as being unsuitable), so I'm
>> unsure a CVE is needed:
>> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/chicken-hackers/2012-02/msg00084.html
>

> Fixed in 4.8.0.
>
> no problem here, will assign once other Q's are answered.

Please use CVE-2012-6124 for this issue.

>> * Vulnerability to algorithmic complexity attacks due to hash
>> table collisions.  Fixed in 4.8.0. First public confirmation of
>> the issue, with preliminary (broken) patch:
>> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/chicken-hackers/2012-01/msg00002.html
>

> Proper fix:
>> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/chicken-hackers/2012-01/msg00020.html
>

> Can
>
> you list the versions released that included the broken and correct
> patch? thanks.

Please use CVE-2012-6125 for this issue.

>> Please let me know if more info is required or if this is even
>> the proper way to request CVEs.
>
>> I'd also like to know if it's possible to get CVE numbers
>> assigned *before* issuing a security advisory, but without
>> immediate full disclosure, so an initial advisory can be complete
>> with CVE number.
>
> Yup see the HOWTO. Initially I'll require full info up front to
> make sure CVE split/merge is done correct, but this wouldn't go
> past me, and if you can't trust me, well, then you go to Mitre I
> guess =). Longer term depends on the quality of CVE requests,
> basically if you learn to do them right and do them consistently
> right I'll require less info/trust you.
>
>> The CVE can be updated afterwards with the link to the advisory
>> when it is issued.  This should make it easier for users to find
>> information about the bug.  This list's Openwall wiki seems to
>> imply that it's only possible to request a CVE for an issue
>> given all the information immediately, but a recent message from
>> Kurt Seifried in a thread about Jenkins says that it can be done.
>> If it's indeed okay to e-mail Kurt directly, it would be helpful
>> to include this in the documentation wiki.
>
>> Finally, how do CVE entries in MITRE and/or the NVD get updated?
>> I couldn't find anything about this in the FAQ.  For example, if
>> we find and fix a noncritical vulnerability but the fix is rather
>>  complicated and needs to be thoroughly tested, the fix might
>> appear in a release after CVE and advisory are issued.  How will
>> this be reflected in the information once the version in which
>> the fix appears is finally known?

email cve-assign@...re.org for all these things. I just assign CVE's,
Mitre handles the entries/write ups/database/etc.

>> Cheers, Peter Bex (on behalf of the Chicken core team)

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993