Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 00:19:00 -0700
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Henri Salo <henri@...v.fi>,
        WordPress Security Team <security@...dpress.org>
Subject: Re: CVE request: WordPress 3.5.1 Maintenance and Security
 Release

On 01/25/2013 02:13 AM, Henri Salo wrote:
> From http://wordpress.org/news/2013/01/wordpress-3-5-1/
>
> WordPress 3.5.1 also addresses the following security issues:

Can I get confirmation on details of these issues so I can properly
assign CVEs? Thanks!

> - A server-side request forgery vulnerability and remote port
> scanning using pingbacks. This vulnerability, which could
> potentially be used to expose information and compromise a site,
> affects all previous WordPress versions. This was fixed by the
> WordPress security team. We’d like to thank security researchers
> Gennady Kovshenin and Ryan Dewhurst for reviewing our work.

Basically it applies filters to pingbacks, things like:

return new IXR_Error(33, __('The specified target URL cannot be used
as a target. It either doesn't exist, or it is not a pingback-enabled
resource.')); so I was largely abl to confirm this one.

> - Two instances of cross-site scripting via shortcodes and post
> content. These issues were discovered by Jon Cave of the WordPress
> security team.

I found one instance of esc_attr() to esc_url() on a url used in
embedded media, I'm guessing this is the XSS mentioned in the
description as "post content"?

All I'm seeing for shortcodes related junk is in a big JavaScript blob
wp-35/wp-includes/js/media-editor.min.js. It looks like this might
need two CVEs if they are widely different.

> - A cross-site scripting vulnerability in the external library
> Plupload. Thanks to the Moxiecode team for working with us on this,
> and for releasing Plupload 1.5.5 to address this issue.

The diff for plupload is a mess of JavaScript/binary files so I can't
confirm much.

Thanks.

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993