Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 16:19:31 -0800
From: Seth Arnold <seth.arnold@...onical.com>
To: coley@...us.mitre.org
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, security@...ntu.com,
	eggert@...ucla.edu
Subject: CVE Request: grep

Hello Kurt, Steve, all.

Paul, I've included you on Cc: to help determine if several grep patches
are security-relevant.

A bug reporter [1] that claims he has, or can produce, a code execution
exploit against grep < 2.11. I've verified that our grep 2.10 package
segfaults on the amd64 platform with the simple reproducer:

$ perl -e 'print "x"x(2**31)' | grep x > /dev/null
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

This specific problem was patched [2] with the following checkin:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grep.git/commit/?id=cbbc1a45b9f843c811905c97c90a5d31f8e6c189

This checkin adds this text to the NEWS file:

+ grep no longer dumps core on lines whose lengths do not fit in 'int'.
+ (e.g., lines longer than 2 GiB on a typical 64-bit host).
+ Instead, grep either works as expected, or reports an error.
+ An error can occur if not enough main memory is available, or if the
+ GNU C library's regular expression functions cannot handle such long lines.
+ [bug present since "the beginning"]

Please assign a CVE number for this problem.

Several other checkins around the 2.11 timeframe also look like they
may be security-relevant:

PCRE over-long line fix:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grep.git/commit/?id=4572ea4649d025e51463d48c2d06a1c66134cdb8

Integer overflow issues:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grep.git/commit/?id=8fcf61523644df42e1905c81bed26838e0b04f91

Paul, are any security issues fixed with those patches? Did I overlook
any other patches that need CVE numbers?

Thanks

1: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grep/+bug/1091473
2: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-grep/2012-12/msg00004.html

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (491 bytes)