Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 18:11:47 +0100
From: Florian Weimer <fweimer@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Robust XML validation

I'm working on guidelines for robust XML parsing and I noticed that
there are some denial-of-service issues related to validation which do
not seem widely documented (but were apparently known when SGML was
specified).

I wonder if we should care about this in the sense that we should
prepare fixes, or if it is sufficient to recommend to validate against
trusted schemas/DTDs only.  (I've found an implementation which gets
right the things I tested so far, so efficient implementations aren't
impossible.)