Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 17:55:14 -0500 (EST)
From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...-smtp.mitre.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
cc: Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@...ian.org>
Subject: Re: CVE request: Curl insecure usage

Kurt,

My read is that these are fairly straightforward issues, although the
number of implementations with this problem may be rather high :-(

opendnssec calls libcurl with an incorrect value "true" that's effectively
treated as the number 1, which is an insecure CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST
value.  So, opendnssec didn't call the API correctly - so the problem
rests with opendnssec.

For the handful of people interested - this is a kind of type confusion or
incorrect conversion error that affects a language other than C!  Kinda
cute.

For PHPcas, this is just calling the API with an insecure
CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST value, period.

So, I'd say that these faulty implementations each deserve their own CVE,
instead of a single ID for Curl.

- Steve