Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 14:32:18 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>,
        Josh Bressers <bressers@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: Strange CVE situation (at least one ID should
 come of this)

On 10/30/2012 11:34 AM, Steven M. Christey wrote:>
>> On 10/26/2012 01:54 PM, Josh Bressers wrote:
>>>
>>> If I was to list the security problems I found after a few
>>> minutes of looking, they are:
>>>
>>> * It uses MD5 passwords * The shadow file is directly modified
>>> without locking (which could lead to a race condition) * If you
>>> get the password wrong, it doesn't unlink the empty temporary
>>> file.
>>>
>>> None are really a big deal, you *could* run this and probably
>>> never notice these problems.
>>>
>>> Fundamentally though, this thing should get one CVE ID that
>>> basically say "don't use this". How have situations like this
>>> been handled in the past?
>
> To have a CVE for "don't use this" is not consistent with
> long-existing practice.  I don't recall ever intentionally
> assigning a CVE for such a thing - after all, CVE is about
> vulnerabilities, and "don't use this" is awfully vague.

True, but we've already gone down that road, e.g.:

CVE-2012-2400 	Unspecified vulnerability in
wp-includes/js/swfobject.js in WordPress before 3.3.2 has unknown
impact and attack vectors.

> Deployment of risky software is effectively a configuration or
> asset management issue, which is well outside the scope of CVE.
> (Maybe it's more like a Common Configuration Enumeration (CCE)
> issue.)

If anything I think it would fit into CPE

> In other words - we really shouldn't use CVE to handle this
> problem.  It is feature creep, and I believe that it WOULD become a
> huge mess.  Maybe this would work for some, but not for all of
> CVE's consumers, which is a wide variety of people and use cases.
> I understand that there is a problem here, though.

True about the mess and not all customers being happy with it.

> It looks like Josh laid out at least 3 different security issues in
> your initial request.  Those can/should get CVEs assigned, even if
> there aren't full details.  The lack of a vendor CONFIRM reference
> or advisory, tells the consumer that the vendor hasn't addressed
> it.
>
> Perhaps the OSS community could borrow an idea from one of the
> framework vendors with lots of third-party modules - I forget if it
> was Joomla or Drupal - who actively maintained a list of poorly
> maintained or obsolete software.
>
> In the broadest sense, however, such old software is still useful
> for people who are starting in vulnerability research, or just
> doing it for fun; many people who audit what MITRE calls "phpGolf"
> applications, go on to do more substantive research.

The old software would still be available (unless someone goes through
sourceforge for example and does some serious spring cleaning).

> Perhaps it is time to re-examine Crispin Cowan's Sardonix project,
> which tried to match vulnerability researchers with open source
> projects, in order to build reputations for both.
>
> - Steve

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993