Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 17:52:12 -0500
From: Raphael Geissert <geissert@...ian.org>
To: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE request - mcrypt buffer overflow flaw

On Tuesday 02 October 2012 14:20:20 Kurt Seifried wrote:
> On 10/02/2012 12:42 PM, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> > Kurt,
> >
> > I think at least one more CVE id needs to be assigned:
> >
> > On Saturday 15 September 2012 19:22:06 Raphael Geissert wrote:
> >> On Tuesday 11 September 2012 10:19:38 Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> >>
> >> Another week, another couple of patches. One makes it use strncpy
> >> and forces a NUL on the last byte of local_algorithm, local_mode,
> >> and local_keymode. Their values are checked later on, so it seems
> >> safe to pass unvalidated data. The size of the buffers is
> >> hard-coded to avoid making many changes to the code.
> >
> > I think this needs a separate id, since fixes were released by
> > Fedora and Debian referencing CVE-2012-4409 but only for the
> > original report.
> >
> > Eygene's followup issues have been fixed in Debian without
> > referencing a CVE id.
>
> Can you post a link to source fixes/commits? Thanks.

This is all there is:
http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2012/09/16/1

The Debian changelog is probably not of much use.

> >> Once those issues were fixed I noticed that salt_size is not
> >> initialized if the salt flag is not set. The result is an
> >> inconditional call to malloc, with an uninitialized int as
> >> argument. This can lead to a non-attacker-controlled memory
> >> consumption DoS in most cases. It makes me think nobody actually
> >> ever used it without a salt.
> >
> > I've no strong opinion on whether this deserves an id.
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> Hrmm there's a thought, has this DoS been confirmed? As we've probably
> seen over the last year more than a few sites fail to salt their
> stored passwords =(.

I don't see how that is relevant, this is the mcrypt(1) tool in concern.
libmcrypt and libmhash are not affected.

The attached file is a PoC built with a slightly modified mcrypt. It appears
that there is no way to disable the salt bit in the unmodified mcrypt while
still producing a file that can later be opened. (for those looking at the
code, the salt bit is only disabled when using --bare)

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer
www.debian.org - get.debian.net

Download attachment "foo.nc" of type "application/x-netcdf" (76 bytes)