Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:08:57 +0200
From: Matthias Weckbecker <mweckbecker@...e.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: CVE request(?): gpg: improper file permssions set when en/de-crypting files

Hi Steve,

On Monday 24 September 2012 22:03:20 Steven M. Christey wrote:
> FYI, this discussion is an interesting example of what I've called the
> "snowball effect" in CVE when new kinds of issues arise that test the
> boundaries of what should or should not belong in CVE - allowing one (or a
> handful) could open the door to hundreds or thousands of other products
> that have the same issue.

Well, I think we are already past of this effect: Looking at [1], I could find
multiple CVE that have been assigned for such issues.

[1] http://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/732.html

> Personally, I would expect a security/privacy-preserving product to select
> the most conservative file permissions that it knows won't violate the
> user's intention; in this case, the permissions of the original "source"
> file, as further restricted by the user-specified umask.  If the user
> calls gpg with a world-readable file and a "promiscuous" umask, then they

Even if the encrypted file is not world-readable, the result (=decrypted file)
is going to be placed world-readable as long as the default umask (=0022) was
used.

[...]
> - Steve

Thanks, Matthias

--
Matthias Weckbecker, Senior Security Engineer, SUSE Security Team
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg, Germany