Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 15:56:32 -0400
From: Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@...ian.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: CVE request(?): gpg: improper file
 permssions set when en/de-crypting files

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Tavis Ormandy wrote:
> Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@...ian.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Tavis Ormandy wrote:
>> > I agree. Users do know how to use umask properly, but this isn't what
>> > umask is for. The umask for the low order bits are only applied if the
>> > program requested 0666, it's still the responsibility of the program to
>> > choose the appropriate permissions.
>> >
>> > Creating sensitive files with 0666 and then saying "set your umask" is
>> > just wrong.
>>
>> Think about the complexity potentially involved to solve these issues the
>> right way.
>
> What complexity?

The complexity of fixing permission handling in just about every
single unix application.

>> First of all, gpg is not the only application that would need to be
>> "privacy-aware". Every single application that produces new files from
>> existing ones to propagate permissions from those original files to the
>> new ones, which would be pretty much everything.
>
> I'm not sure what you're talking about, when you invoke open() with O_CREAT,
> you need to put the correct value in the third parameter. I don't know what
> that has to do with propogation.

If gpg is supposed to propagate permissions based on its input file
permissions to output files, then the broad implications are that
whole class of applications that derive new files need to do that as
well.

>>  In addition, piping
>> would need to be permissions-aware to achieve the following:
>>
>> $ umask 077 $ touch sensitive-file $ umask 022 $ cat sensitive-file >
>> sensitive-file2 $ ls -l sensitive-file* -rw------- 1 a a 0 Sep 24 13:09
>> sensitive-file -rw------- 1 a a 0 Sep 24 13:09 sensitive-file2
>
> I cannot parse this argument, but "piping" is a very high level concept, and
> of little relevance. We're talking about the third parameter to open when
> O_CREAT is specified.

The point is retaining appropriate permissions across a chain of
commands, rather than resorting to the umask, which you are arguing is
the wrong thing to do for sensitive data.

So starting with sensitive-file a set of permissions, performing any
kind of operations on it you need, then writing a sensitive-file-new
at the end, that file has the same permissions as the original (rather
than resorting to the umask to choose a default).

>> Also, in the gpg case, what should be done when starting with a 644,
>> should the decrypted contents be 600 (acting more as a protective parent),
>> or should it respect the original permissions (irrespective of the umask),
>> or chose the more restrictive of both?
>
> I think you mean 0666, which is what gpg is requesting. I'm pretty sure they
> did not really intend for that, and so it should be updated to request what
> they actually want.

The original example was 600 input permissions producing 644 output.
My question is what should be done with the reverse case: 644 input,
should the output be 644 (i.e. input permissions = output
permissions), 600 (protective parenting), or something else?

>> I'm not saying that these problems couldn't (or shouldn't) be solved, but
>> it seems like a daunting task.
>
> I think you've misunderstood the problem, and it's trivial to solve.

No, I'm thinking about the broader implication.  If you're arguing
that gpg should be modified to better handle permissions, then all
applications potentially handling sensitive information should as
well: file editors, and what not.  Otherwise, what makes gpg such a
special case?

Best wishes,
Mike