Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 13:30:48 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@...ian.org>
Subject: Re: Re: CVE request(?): gpg: improper file permssions
 set when en/de-crypting files

On 09/21/2012 12:27 PM, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Kurt Seifried
> <kseifried@...hat.com> wrote:
>>> Any security weakness can qualify for the E in CVE.  Really
>>> the point
>>
>> No, security vulnerabilities qualify, security hardening does
>> not necessarily qualify.
>
> Again E is for exposure, not vulnerability.
>
>> In this case GnuPG respects umask. We can't assign a CVE for
>> every single program that has potentially sensitive output and
>> fails to ensure that the output is mode 0600 or whatever (what
>> about extended access controls?). Some programs choose to enforce
>> permissions within themselves (e.g. OpenSSH and key based
>> authentication), but generally speaking makeing sure a program
>> with potentially sensitive output is safe is the job of the
>> system configuration, and you have several options:
>
> Think about it this way.  I open a file with mode 600 in vim, edit
> it, save it, and find it with mode 644?  That would be an exposure,
> would it not?

Not if it respects your umask. If you want privacy set your umask
correctly. Programs can't know what they're supposed to do unless you
tell them. And we tell the system using umask.

> Again, about as minor as you could get, but its still an E.

I'm confused. It's not exposed unless you configure umask wrong and
run this in a public viewable directory. If you want a CVE for every
single program that doesn't ensure it's (potentially sensitive) output
is mode 0600 than that's basically, well, all the programs on a system.

> Best wishes, Mike

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993