Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 17:26:59 -0400
From: Michael Rash <mbr@...herdyne.org>
To: Jan Lieskovsky <jlieskov@...hat.com>
Cc: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>,
	oss-security@...ts.openwall.com,
	Damien Stuart <dstuart@...uart.org>
Subject: Re: CVE Request -- fwknop 2.0.3: Multiple security issues

On Sep 19, 2012, Jan Lieskovsky wrote:

> Hello Kurt, Steve, vendors,
>
>   multiple securit issues have been corrected in 2.0.3 upstream version of
> fwknop (http://www.cipherdyne.org/blog/categories/software-releases.html):
> 1) multiple DoS / code execution flaws:
>    Upstream patch:
>    [1] http://www.cipherdyne.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fwknop.git;a=commitdiff;h=d46ba1c027a11e45821ba897a4928819bccc8f22
>
> 2) server did not properly validate allow IP addresses from malicious
>    authenticated clients
>    Upstream patch:
>    [2] http://www.cipherdyne.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fwknop.git;a=commitdiff;h=f4c16bc47fc24a96b63105556b62d61c1ba7d799
>
> 3) strict filesystem permissions for various fwknop files are not verified
> 4) local buffer overflow in --last processing with a maliciously constructed ~/.fwknop.run file
>    Upstream patch:
>    [3] http://www.cipherdyne.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fwknop.git;a=commitdiff;h=a60f05ad44e824f6230b22f8976399340cb535dc
>
> For the remaining ones:
> =======================
> 5) several conditions in which the server did not properly throw out maliciously constructed variables in the access.conf file
>    Upstream patch:
>    [4] http://www.cipherdyne.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fwknop.git;a=commitdiff;h=e2c0ac4821773eb335e36ad6cd35830b8d97c75a
>
>    Note: This doesn't look like a security flaw (previously possible to provide malicious values
>    to access.conf file, but I assume it would required administrator privileges).
>
> 6) [test suite] Added a new fuzzing capability to ensure proper server-side input validation.
>    Note: Test-suite add-on, no CVE needed.
>
> 7) Fixed RPM builds by including the $(DESTDIR) prefix for uninstall-local and
>    install-exec-hook stages in Makefile.am.
>    Upstream patch:
>    [5] http://www.cipherdyne.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=fwknop.git;a=commitdiff;h=c5b229c5c87657197b0c814ff22127d870b55753
>
>    Note: Also doesn't look like a fix for a security flaw.
>
> Could you allocate CVE ids for issues 1), 2), 3), and 4) ?
>
> [Cc-ed Damien and Michael from fwknop upstream to confirm
> they {the first four} should receive a CVE identifier].

I would say that the first four should receive CVE identifiers, yes.
For 5), it could be a security issue in older versions of fwknop if the
umask at install time was permissive enough to allow non-admin users to
modify the access.conf file, but this is unlikely I think so probably
doesn't deserve a CVE identifier.

Thanks,

--
Michael Rash