Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 15:54:09 +0100
From: Giles Coochey <>
To: Julius Kivimäki <>
CC: research <>,,
        vuln <>,,,,,
        full-disclosure <>,
        bugtraq <>,,,
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] GIMP Scriptfu Python Remote Command Execution

On 17/08/2012 11:26, Julius Kivimäki wrote:
> Where exactly is the vulnerability here? I am unable to see it myself,
> it appears that you are using an eval function to evaluate code which
> isn't exactly a security issue.
The vulnerability appears to lie that this script-fu server just opens a
TCP port, un-authenticated and un-encrypted and allows execution to run
in the context of the server.

As mentioned, the GIMP Dev team say it is a feature that wasn't designed
with security in mind, so if you were to use it, you would be advised to
wrap it.

Giles Coochey, CCNA, CCNAS
NetSecSpec Ltd
+44 (0) 7983 877438

[ CONTENT OF TYPE application/pkcs7-signature SKIPPED ]