Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 15:54:09 +0100
From: Giles Coochey <giles@...chey.net>
To: Julius Kivimäki <julius.kivimaki@...il.com>
CC: research <research@...ctionis.co.uk>, vuln@...urity.nnov.ru,
        vuln <vuln@...unia.com>, news@...uriteam.com,
        secalert@...urityreason.com, submit@...ecurity.com,
        bugs@...uritytracker.com,
        full-disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,
        bugtraq <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>,
        submissions@...ketstormsecurity.org, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com,
        moderators@...db.org
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] GIMP Scriptfu Python Remote Command Execution

On 17/08/2012 11:26, Julius Kivimäki wrote:
> Where exactly is the vulnerability here? I am unable to see it myself,
> it appears that you are using an eval function to evaluate code which
> isn't exactly a security issue.

The vulnerability appears to lie that this script-fu server just opens a
TCP port, un-authenticated and un-encrypted and allows execution to run
in the context of the server.

As mentioned, the GIMP Dev team say it is a feature that wasn't designed
with security in mind, so if you were to use it, you would be advised to
wrap it.

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey, CCNA, CCNAS
NetSecSpec Ltd
+44 (0) 7983 877438
http://www.coochey.net
http://www.netsecspec.co.uk
giles@...chey.net

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (4968 bytes)